Musicians Without Borders is committed to safeguarding the personal information entrusted to us by individuals. We manage your personal information according to the GDPR Regulation EU 2016/679 and the AVG (Algemene Verordening Gegevensbescherming) and other applicable law.
Musicians Without Borders may collect personal data of individuals for the purposes of communication, fundraising, enrollment in programs and personnel administration.
Please read this policy carefully to understand how we collect, use and process your personal data.
Term: ‘Musicians Without Borders’
Definition: Musicians Without Borders, a non-profit foundation (Stichting) registered in the Netherlands.
Term: ‘Musicians Without Borders Website’
Definition: www.musicianswithoutborders.org and any other website operated by Musicians Without Borders.
What personal information do we collect and how do we use it?
We collect personal information in various ways, online and offline, such as through our websites and social media channels, at our events, training and project activities, through phone, email or post, and in connection with recruitment processes.
We only collect and use personal information (such as your name, address, phone number or e-mail address) that is necessary to fulfill the specific purpose for which it is acquired and, if required, to comply with legal obligations. For example, where you express an interest in joining or donating to Musicians Without Borders, or subscribe to our digital or written communication updates. Donor records are kept as long as required by Dutch Fiscal law after your last donation. If you apply for a job or volunteer role at Musicians Without Borders we will collect information so that we can process your application.
When you use Musicians Without Borders Websites the type and amount of information we receive and store depends on how you use it. You can access most pages on the Musicians Without Borders Websites without telling us who you are and without revealing any personal information. Our web servers collect anonymous logs during user visits to the Musicians Without Borders Websites which provide valuable information for improving it in the future. Our web servers, social media accounts and Google Analytics account collect anonymous user data which provide information for marketing and fundraising purposes.
We do not collect personal information through the Musicians Without Borders Websites unless you choose to provide it.
We ask for consent (informed, freely-given and specific), to collect, use, or disclose personal information, except in specific circumstances where collection, use or disclosure without consent is authorized by law. Anyone can withdraw their consent for the use and disclosure of personal information at any time, unless the personal information is necessary for us to fulfill our legal obligations.
A cookie is a text-only piece of information that a website transfers to your computer’s hard disk so that the website can remember who you are. A cookie will normally contain the name of the Internet domain from which the cookie has come, the “lifetime” of the cookie, and a value, usually a randomly generated unique number.
If you wish to restrict or block cookies you can set your internet browser to do so – here’s an article explaining how to.
We use Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel in order to anonymously track usage of our website. Facebook might store cookies for Facebook users when using our website. For more information please visit Safeguarding Your Data and Facebook: Cookies & Other Storage Technologies.
Sharing of personal information
The information you provide will not be sold or rented nor will it be shared with third parties unless we have your permission, or are required to disclose the information by law or in the following situations:
- Hosting and processing: the Musicians Without Borders Websites are hosted by third party service providers and therefore any personal details you submit through the Musicians Without Borders Websites may be processed by that third party service provider. We may also use other third parties to process your personal details. For example, such third parties may process your personal information to action expressions of interest to join Musicians Without Borders, process donations to Musicians Without Borders on our behalf or process and forward mailing information for users to sign up for our online actions and/or choose to subscribe to our email updates. All of these third party service providers will process your personal information only on Musicians Without Borders’ behalf and will be bound by strict confidentiality conditions.
- Payment processing and fraud: When you make a donation on our website (www.musicianswithoutborders.org), we use the data you provided for transactional processing. Where submitted, your card details may be disclosed to banks or relevant financial institutions to arrange payments. Online payments may be processed by Stripe and Paypal. In the case of a suspected fraudulent transaction, your details may be further disclosed for the sole purpose of performing further checks to reduce risk to you and Musicians Without Borders. MWB collects donations via third party websites such as Benevity, Bandcamp, GlobalGiving, Geef.nl and Facebook, which are subject to their own privacy policies.
- Newsletter subscriptions: We use MailChimp as our marketing automation platform. By subscribing to our newsletter, you acknowledge that the information you provide will be transferred to MailChimp for processing. You can unsubscribe from our newsletter at any time through the unsubscribe link provided in our newsletters or by emailing [email protected].
- Media: We store photographs related to our work with the image hosting service Flickr. Photos and videos of our work for which consent was given are shared publicly on our websites and social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube).
- On Behalf donations: When you choose to send an On Behalf donation, you represent that you have the recipient’s consent to provide us their name and email address in order to notify them of the donation. Unless we are otherwise authorized by the recipient, we will only use their name and email address for the purposes of sending this email.
Personal information on our donors and newsletter subscribers may additionally be stored in our secure databases managed by Salesforce and Google Drive.
The information stored with these service providers as mentioned above is subject to their respective Privacy Policies and Terms. The disclosure of your personal information discussed above may involve the transfer of that information outside of the European Union. The transfer of your personal information outside of the European Union is subject to equal or equivalent protection under the GDPR and other applicable law.
How do we safeguard your personal information?
We make every reasonable effort to ensure that personal information is secure, accurate, complete and up to date and that we only keep it for as long as necessary. However, the transmission of information over the Internet is never completely secure, so while we do our best to protect personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to the Musicians Without Borders Websites.
Accessing and deleting your personal information
You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you, to correct that information, and, in some circumstances, to object to our processing of your information, under data privacy law, at any time. You have the right to have your information deleted by us (the right to be forgotten) at any time. If you wish to exercise any of these rights or have any questions about this policy, please contact us at:
Musicians Without Borders
1031 CL Amsterdam
Call or email us at +31 20 330 5012 or [email protected]. We will respond to your request within 30 calendar days.