Musicians Without Borders – Trainer
Musicians Without Borders is an internationally operating organization based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. We work in present and post-conflict regions, using community-based music projects to support processes of reconciliation, healing and community building.
Musicians Without Borders develops and implements targeted projects and programs, offers trainings in community music leadership skills, provides expertise and contributes to international conferences and expert meetings. We have ongoing projects in the Balkans, the Middle East, Central Africa, Central America, and Europe.
We are looking for experienced trainers to join our team to work in our programs for up to several weeks throughout the year on a freelance basis.
1. Professional Musician
Any person with an extensive musical background, not necessarily with a degree in music. You must have excellent command of the voice and of rhythm. Experience with creativity in music, for example: songwriting, arranging, composing, improvising.
2. Experience in facilitating community music workshops
– Has an understanding of community music, and able to express the benefits of community music in terms of community building, personal development, empathy, and nonviolence.
– Actively leading workshops in community music with diverse groups on an ongoing basis. Has the ability to create new community music activities. Comfortable with using body percussion, movement/dance, drum circle facilitation, singing, improvisation, songwriting.
3. Experience as a trainer
Has experience in training others as teachers/facilitators to work with groups using music. Able to follow and adapt a curriculum, facilitate discussions, and lead feedback and reflection processes.
4. Familiarity and affinity with MWB’s core values and principles.
5. Basic knowledge of nonviolence and peace activism
Knowledge of key events and figures in the history of nonviolence and peace activism. Strong affinity with peacebuilding and social activism.
6. Advanced command of English
Able to lead workshops and facilitate discussions in English.
7. Availability to travel
Can be flexible throughout the year for training opportunities around the world.
Following the review of your application and CV, successful applicants will be invited for a Skype interview, and a trial session. Prospective trainers will also be asked for two professional references and to undergo a background check in accordance with MWB’s safeguarding policy.